Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Exploring Chicago - Antiques

My husband and I both share a similar interest in antiques and restoring old/unique items. Therefore it is no surprise that we always jump at the chance to look at any flea markets/antique markets that we find.  It just so happens that during a recent business trip to Chicago (of which I drug him along on) that we were lucky enough to find a local antique hot spot.  You can imagine how excited we were.  Although we didn't buy anything (had we been in our truck there was a buffet that would have been coming home with me!!) we enjoyed browsing the collections.  I hope you enjoy the following items as much as I did.

Location:  Naperville, IL
Store Name:  Affordable Antiques & More  (Here is a link to their website)


The first item that caught my attention was this awesome buffet.  I LOVE the character of this piece, from it's rich tones to craftsmanship and I thought the decorations were unique and charming.  Had we drove my husband's truck, this beauty may have just found its new home in my formal dining room!!  Now I have the challenge of finding something similar closer to home....

The blue and green 'ball' type items caught my attention at first and after a little exploring I realized that these are nothing more than a ball of Styrofoam with yarn wrapped around it in no certain pattern sitting on a couple of candle stands that have been painted gold.  A trip to the local Wal-Mart or Hobby Lobby and $10 to $15 later, a pair of these could be made easily.  I think I'll be adding this to my project/to-do list for the near future.



Walking through the store I quickly was drawn to an old antique window.  Buying one of these last year on a yard sale for $5 (of which is still waiting in my garage for some much needed attention and a finished bathroom to hang it in), I was quickly drawn to this to see just what the value was.  I wasn't shocked to see that the price was $50, but enjoyed boasting to my husband about my great find last year.  (You should probably know that he thought I was crazy when I bought it and had yet to let me live it down)  Rubbing it in only made it that much sweeter!!


Next was a stain glass picture hanging in the window.  I loved the bright colors but can't imagine where in the world a person would place this in their home.  None-the-less, I liked it enough that it made my post.



Recently a middle/high school friend sent me a link to a really neat blog that used Mason Jars and converted them into solar powered lights as yard decorations.  Ever since seeing this link, I've wanted to incorporate this somehow in my backyard.  Not wanting to pay $8 a jar, I'm back to the hunt of finding these on a local yard sale but thought I would share.  Here is a link to the solar inserts for the jars Esty - Solar Mason Jars.  Thanks Savannah for sharing such a neat idea!!




I would have to say that this is a new one on me.  Old furniture legs painted and priced at $60!!  It's safe to say that if I ever stumble upon any old legs in a yard sale, etc. I will be painting them and trying to make some money.  Although kind of neat, I really don't know how in the world these are worth this much money!!



 
Last but not least, I feel in love with this old trunk.  I hope to own one someday.  Again, had my car had room this may have found a place in my home somewhere…


…..if only we had brought the truck!!

No comments:

Post a Comment